Dosha® Devotees love questions because they are a great way to learn (we love learning!). Here are some questions we think you may ask. If you have further questions, we're listening so ask away: email@example.com.
q. From an Ayurvedic perspective, which product is right for me?
a. Dosha® bars are formulated with ingredients intended to balance the dosha named on that bar (i.e. Cherry Chakra will balance vata, Blueberry Balance will balance pitta, Apple Cran Awakening will balance kapha). For example, if you're a vata-pitta combination, your "go-to" bars are vata and pitta. But wait, there's more (read below). If you don't know anything about Ayurveda, start here.
q. So, if I'm a Pitta (or Kapha or Vata), does that mean I shouldn't ever eat the other bars?
a. Great question but NO. There are at least three reasons why you should still find room for the others.
(1) Doshas cycle throughout the seasons! Vata is heaviest (i.e. needs the most balancing) in winter, Pitta in summer, Kapha in spring. For example, vata Dosha® bars are balancing for you in the winter even if you're not a vata personality.
(2) Doshas cycle throughout our daily rhythm! Vata is heaviest (i.e. needs the most balancing) from 2am-6am and 2pm-6pm, Pitta from 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am, Kapha from 6am-10am and 6pm-10pm. For example, let's say you're a Vata personality, it's 4pm and you're hungry for a snack in between lunch and dinner; we would recommend a vata bar (personality) or a kapha bar (time of day).
(3) In conclusion, you can eat Dosha® Bars to balance your personal constitution, the season, or the time of day. If all else fails, we haven't yet encountered the "Ayurveda police" so eat the one you crave!
q. Are Dosha® Bars organic?
a. Yes. Not only are we organic, we are 100% organic, certified by CCOF (originally known as California Certified Organic Farmers). Learn more about CCOF's high standards and who they are.
q. So, Dosha® Bar is 100% Organic. What does it mean to be organic?
a. Every single one of our ingredients is grown without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, dyes, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Each is harvested without industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering. This isn't cheap and it's not as easy for farmers but we believe it's best for your health and sustaining our environment.
q. Are Dosha® Bars vegan?
a. Yes! We love and care about animals and have high respect for vegan lifestyles. However, vegan Dosha Devotees should know that according to Ayurveda, Kapha is balanced only by a honey sweetener. So, we stay true to Ayurveda and use honey but only in our kapha bars; we realize that vegans are split on whether they consume honey or not and to be transparent about this, "vegan" is *'d on our kapha bars with a reference to honey on the ingredient listing. Vata and pitta bars do not contain honey. Please know that we paid special attention to source only the highest quality, ethically produced honey: True Source Certified honey.
q. Is Dosha® Bar Paleo?
a. Yes! We absolutely consider ourselves paleo. There are many variants of paleo and some disagreements but let's hit some important points.
(1) Back to the basics: Paleo is a diet based on food ingredients and combinations presumed to have been accessible and eaten by humans during the stone age, 2.5 million years ago. Dosha® Bars consist of dried, UNsweetened fruits (real fruit, real flavor, no added sweetener), seeds (no grains!) and a modest amount of what we chose as optimal sweeteners for each bar that a cave man could have made (we also use just enough sweetener to bind our bars together, not enough to overwhelm the true flavors of our fruit and seeds).
(2) Does Dosha® Bar use paleo-friendly sweeteners? Browse the web, talk to fellow paleo followers and you'll find widespread disagreement about the best sweeteners for paleo diets (when even consuming any in modest amounts). Our Kapha bars are lightly sweetened and bound together with organic, raw honey (the only sweetener that balances Kapha dosha) and Vata- and Pitta-balancing bars are made with organic brown rice syrup, which has a mild flavor that lets the other flavors shine through and though made from rice, we only use 3g of it to help bind the bar and it is often considered preferable to most other forms of sugar due to the fact that it is in the form of glucose vs fructose. Some consider it to be one of the best options for a sweetener.
(3) What about seeds--are they paleo? First, seeds were widely accessible 2.5 million years ago and known to be consumed by humans of that time. Next, let's acknowledge there is widespread disagreement on this subject, partly because it gets quite complicated. As an example, the primary argument against pseudograins like quinoa or amaranth is the argument against dietary saponins--our quinoa and amaranth do NOT contain saponins due to the heating process used to puff or crisp them (besides ridding of saponins, this process also helps add unique texture to Dosha® Bars while retaining quality nutritive properties). Finally, much of the research on "leaky gut" is known to come from consuming saponins WITH lectins like gluten; there is no gluten in Dosha® Bar and if you're staying true to paleo, you have no gluten in your diet either.
(4) Look at comparable ingredients in some of the other so-called "paleo" packaged foods? See our list of Ingredients We Don't Love for a few of them but some of these are so heavily processed and/or came right out of a laboratory. Would humans really eat that 2.5 million years ago?
q. Let's talk sugar. Dosha® Bar uses organic, dried, UN-sweetened fruit. How is it different sweetened fruit?
a. In several ways actually. The most obvious answer is that our fruit has no added sugar--just sugar naturally occurring in the fruit when grew from the ground and was eventually dried out. Beyond this, added sugar also changes the flavor and texture of the fruit. We prefer you to taste our fruit as it was intended to be in nature: Sweet, Sour, Astringent, etc. rather than universally sweet. Finally, unsweetened fruit is much more expensive because the product is 100% fruit vs. sweetened fruit, which can easily be 50% sugar! In other words, if you ate 1/2 lb. of a sweetened fruit, you could be eating 1/4 lb. of fruit and 1/4 lb. added sugar! If you eat 1/2 lb. of unsweetened fruit, it's all fruit just like the apple or blueberry you bought in the produce section but dried.
q. So, the sugar on the back of the package in the nutritional panel isn't all added sweetener? Why don't you break out "added sugars" from "naturally occurring sugars?"
a. Great question! We comply with the FDA's current labeling laws, which don't allow this break out. However, society has far too much sugar in our diets so we would definitely support this change! Only about 50% of the sugar listed on the Dosha® Bar nutritional label is "added" and the rest is naturally occurring in our unsweetened fruit. The proposed change would allow consumers to be more mindful about how much sugar is really added to their packaged food and would force manufacturers to reconsider how much sugar they really want or need to add to their products. You can view the proposed label vs. the current one and read more at this FDA website.
q. If you're so against sugar, why add any sugar at all?
a. Another good question! First, most of the sugars in Dosha® Bar comes from organic, unsweetened fruit with the same sugars you would find in the produce aisle. Second, we only have 3g of "added sugars" in our bars, which means about 94% of the content of each bar is basically organic, unsweetened fruits and seeds! Contrast this with many other bars, which list some kind of syrup as the first ingredient and are often ALL added sugars. We believe in a balanced diet and the small amount of added sugar from our Dosha® Bars will barely cause a blip in most people's diets. Additionally, Ayurveda does not recommend straight crystallized sugar so we have carefully chosen our sweeteners to honor Ayurveda and taste as much as possible. Finally, there's a practical reason: Our sweeteners are used only enough to help Dosha® Bar stick or bind together. Without them, the bar would fall apart.
q. Are Dosha® Bars kosher?
a. Yes. We are certified kosher by the Orthodox Union (OU). We have no dairy products in our bars but carry the OU-D symbol because our bars are made on equipment that is also used to process other products containing dairy. However, please be assured that all equipment is cleaned thoroughly before/after all products are made.
q. Let's talk allergens. Are Dosha® Bars nut free? What about other allergens like soy or dairy?
a. Our ingredients contain no tree nuts, peanuts, soy, or dairy. At the same time, we are mindfully and lovingly crafted at a gluten-free facility that (for other products) processes soy, tree nuts, peanuts, and dairy.
q. Why is the price so high?
a. We put a great deal of time, thought, and love everything we do, especially our ingredient sourcing process. We use only the highest quality ingredients such as unsweetened, organic fruits (vs. sweetened fruits that can be as much as 50% sugar and are thus significantly cheaper ingredients--but who wants to eat more sugar?). Further, our product is made in smaller batches to maintain maximum freshness.
q. Is Dosha® Bar raw?
a. Almost all our ingredients are raw and but the bars are not. If you wanted to, you might say that our bars are almost raw.
q. Why do you only have 3-4g of protein or fiber in each Dosha® Bar?
a. Good question! Lean protein and fiber are very important. Would you prefer 10, 20, maybe 30 grams of protein and maybe 5-10g of fiber per bar? Dosha® Bar is intended to be real food, as natural as we could make it--organic, unsweetened fruits, seeds, and a modest amount of sweetener. No added flavoring, preservatives, fruit powders, lab-made protein powders, or fiber supplements. If we had more protein or fiber without upping the serving size, we would have needed to add laboratory made protein powder or fiber supplements, which isn't true to us.
Did you know that if you ate the weight of 3 Dosha® Bars of just plain kale or broccoli, you would still only be consuming 2-3g of fiber! As for protein, this much beans or steak would yield you about 25-30g of protein but we'd rather see you get meaningful protein from your "meals" (i.e. beans, eggs, meat, fish, chicken, tofu, etc.), not a recovery snack like Dosha® Bar.
q. How should I store my Dosha® Bar for maximum freshness?
a. You mean you didn't eat the whole box within days of arrival? lol. For maximum freshness, we recommend that you store Dosha® Bars out of direct sunlight in room temperature or less and lower humidity. If you store in higher temperatures and/or humidity, they will not stay as fresh as long.
Other questions or comments? Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.